Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
How do you find reliable news sources? Schewe Library has a variety of news websites and databases you can access. Or, you may just want to try Google first! The activity in the left column will guide you through effective Googling and the column on the right will show you helpful resources on news and health.
Using Google for Health News
How can you find health news related to your group?
- First, create your keywords. What is the main idea of what you're searching for? Try to create 3-4 keywords that capture that idea.
- Then, head to Google. Try searching with your keywords and click the "News" tab.
- You can also try this example search (below). Fill in the parentheses with information about your topic.
- What did you find? Was it helpful? Was it reliable? How can you tell? Go to the "Is It Good?" page to find out!
And just remember
There's no shame in asking for help. If you're having trouble finding an article or determing if it's reliable, don't hesitate to reach out to a librarian either in person or through our online services.
Other News and Health Resources:
Free News Sites
If you're looking for news articles, the following news sources can help:
- The Associated Press (AP). The Associated Press is a coalition of journalists and newspapers that shares news with its members. AP stories are generally considered "neutral" and will often be used when a news agency doesn't have a reporter for a particular region (such as when a small-town newspaper needs to run a story about a national event.)
- BBC News. The BBC is located in the UK and covers mainly international news and major stories in the US.
- Jacksonville Journal Courier. Looking for the latest from Jacksonville? Try the local newspaper! You can also find a physical version every day in Schewe Library.
- Kaiser Health News. Kaiser Health News focuses on health-related news and healthcare policy from throughout the US.
- National Public Radio (NPR). NPR focuses on national and international news, as well as health and culture stories. Local NPR stations will also generally cover local issues and events.
- USA Today. USA Today is a national newspaper and covers news from around the US.
Schewe Databases: News
These databases and subscription newspapers can also help you find health news.
Searching tip: try using the keywords you made in the left column with the databases.
News (Gale OneFile) This link opens in a new window
This newspaper database contains coverage from over 2,300 U.S. regional, national, and local newspapers. It also includes select newspaper titles from around the world. You can search in this database by title, headline, date, author, and newspaper section.
New York Times, The This link opens in a new window
The New York Times is the world's premier newspaper of record, and this database allows you to read current articles from the paper (and some back issues as well). For a complete and unedited archive of The New York Times articles, please use the Proquest Historical Newspapers: The New York Times database. IC users working on campus may also go directly to www.nytimes.com.
Nexis Uni This link opens in a new window
This general database draws from over 17,000 distinct sources, and includes a variety of legal, business and news information. Best used for newspapers, company information and legal cases. The update to Nexis Uni provides a new, more intuitive, interface, and the option to personalize your research!
Washington Post, The This link opens in a new window
This link provides access to the Washington Post for members of the IC Community. This newspaper provides breaking news stories from the US and around the World.
If you are off campus, you will be asked to sign in with your net ID and password on a separate screen before you are taken to the website.
Schewe Databases: Medicine and Health
These resources may be particularly useful for finding medical information and verifying claims in news articles, though their focus will be on scholarly articles and studies, not news articles:
Consumer Health Complete This link opens in a new window
This health database provides full-text coverage of over 500 journals and magazines as well as full-text coverage of 250 health reference books. Also includes over 2,500 custom reports on various health topics
Health & Medicine (Gale OneFile) This link opens in a new window
This health science database contains over 2,500 full-text periodicals and eBooks, and is designed to give student researchers current and comprehensive information about a range of health issues. It also includes multimedia content, much of which is devoted to live surgeries!
Health Source: Consumer Edition This link opens in a new window
This consumer health database provides full-text access to over 80 health magazines and over 100 health reference books. More popular resources than scholarly resources in here, FYI.
PubMed Central This link opens in a new window
This health and medical database is a full-text only version of PubMed. This means there are fewer articles to search, but all are immediately available.